Placer Deposit Plugin

Thomo

Hi,

Has anyone had problems getting placer deposit to work in EIAS 9 or 9.1?

I just cannot get it to function. It errors out, I'll post the error if anyone has experienced this before.

I have approached the vendor of this plugin, they referred this back to EIAS. It has now been going on for 1 year.

I have politely asked the vendor for a refund, to no avail.

I am working on a Windows 7 system.

If this is not a priority, that a plugin is not working on a particular system, then please give me specs on what system it does work on. The irony is that I have tried 5 various computers but none prevail.

It was suggested that maybe my dongle has an issue but I just can't seem to get this tried out.

I know everyone is busy but I would consider a paying customer should have some comeback on a purchased product.

Please consider this in the light it is intended, to try to solve a problem not to denigrate anything or anyone associated.

Please someone help me to make Placer Deposit work in EIAS 9.1 on Win 7.

Kind regards,

• Like 2

I'm on a mac also, but...

what kind of error are you getting? - does it create the Placer Deposit object then error when generating the instances?

starting in EIAS 9 (and 9.1) always use the Instance Mode Type 2, Type 1 will error every time. Other then that it seems to work ok - it will generate huge models but if you push it too far it will crash EI.

how many polys would the created model be (if it worked)?

brian

Thanks very much for your responses.

Tomas has had a look at my problem and he is addressing it with the pugin developer.

I'd really like to get this going as I use a lot of 3D grass. Currently I'm using proxy plugin to "stamp" around squares of 3D grass but it can drive you a bit nuts on sloping and undulating areas.

Thanks again and hope it can be sorted out.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Thomo,

I just tested Placer on win7 EI9.1 and it IS working for me. Really simple test with an ubershape sphere and plane, instance mode2.

I would check that you gave Blair the correct dongle code when you ordered and also try reinstalling the plugin making sure the authorization code is correct, these things came to mind because of the dongle being mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Hi Thomo,

I just tested Placer on win7 EI9.1 and it IS working for me. Really simple test with an ubershape sphere and plane, instance mode2.

I would check that you gave Blair the correct dongle code when you ordered and also try reinstalling the plugin making sure the authorization code is correct, these things came to mind because of the dongle being mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Reuben.

The problem is with Win7 64 bit. Are you running 64 bit?

I had Tomas test my machine and he has spoken with Blair. Blair says he has sent a beta fix to Tomas to test a couple of weeks ago but I am still waiting to here from Tomas how this worked out.

I've been waiting / trying over a year to get this working.

Thanks for your input though.

Cheers,

Hi Reuben,

Well that is very strange then!

I have tried everything and so has Tomas on my machine to get it to work.

I don't know what to think or do now.

Maybe my dongle?

I've had some projects for the past 10 months I needed it for! That's why I bought it.

Over to you Tomas and Blair, can we please sort this out somehow?

Many thanks

Hi Tomas and Reuben,

I have got this working!

I downloaded a new installer from the website, ran it as administrator twice and now it works.

I don't know what happened, I have done this before. Perhaps not done the install twice though. I remember reading somewhere to try this for weird installs on windows.

I am using the old .rsc and .plm and it seems to be fine.

I'm happy, I'll let you know of anything further.

Thanks for your input and help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well after testing Placer it does not really work.

It crashes itself and EIAS a lot.

It is not 64 bit.

There are several work arounds I have discovered to prevent it crashing but it all comes down to the fact that it keeps running out of memory along with EIAS not playing well with PC graphics cards.

I'm pretty disappointed and annoyed about this now. I've stressed that I shouldn't have to pay to figure out why this does not work correctly on PC for over a year now. Although I have tried for the same length of time.

I think it is high time someone told me where this situation is at and if it is not going to be fixed in the near future then refund my money and call me when it works correctly.

I know this can work but it has problems that no one seems to be trying to resolve on PC any time soon.

Plus the fact that strength maps are not working on GeForce PC (search forum for strength maps) doesn't even give me a chance to try placer with strength maps.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm all out of answers.

Thanks for any updated help.

I'll take a look as soon as i get chance, as i said, my "test" was pretty basic. Usually when the plugin runs out of memory its due to creating more geometry than it can handle so if you reduce the number of instances or use a lower poly base model then that should solve the problem.

I don't know about weight maps, i have a workstation with a Geforce card and laptop with a Quadro card so i'll take a look at that too.

Apart from workarounds all we can really do is wait for Blair to update the plugins, frustrating but at least he's still working on it, i have many 3d party plugins and shaders that won't ever be updated (some have stopped working too) due to those guys going out of business.

Hi Thomo,

I've found that if using bounding box preview (the option in placer general settings) then the plugin does not run out of memory when creating instances in animator. The real limitation is 32bit camera memory, i was able to generate and render 7.6million triangles but any more and the memory runs out.

I was also able to use a weight map as a placement map, this with the quadro laptop though.

Hi Thomo,

I've found that if using bounding box preview (the option in placer general settings) then the plugin does not run out of memory when creating instances in animator. The real limitation is 32bit camera memory, i was able to generate and render 7.6million triangles but any more and the memory runs out.

I was also able to use a weight map as a placement map, this with the quadro laptop though.

Yes that is the problem, 32 bit camera. I was hoping that the 64 bit version that was sent to me would have been resolved by now.

I understand what is being said but it just is not working for grass in Arch Viz for me. Proxy seems to be better but more tedious to setup, particularly on contoured surfaces.

I can't even produce a weight / strength map on a new graphics card. This is hopefully being addressed.

Thanks for you input though.

Best

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...