Model fails to import into EI

Buggsy

Hi,

I have bought a number of models from different internet vendors, in .obj, .3ds and .fbx formats. At least 3 out of every 10 models fail to import!

I also have the modelling program Rhino (Mac work-in-progress) which opens the failed imports no problems at all. I save them out of Rhino but they still fail to import into EI!

I am wasting my money on models that I have to trash in the bin, which is extremely frustrating.

Could there be a bug with EI's new model import function? Is there a work around? Is there a modelling program that can bridge the gap? Transporter doesn't work any more does it!?

I need help with this because I have a deadline on a project and can't put my hope in virtually any 3D model I see!

Michael

As an update for the followers of this thread, I imported the model in EIAS 9.0 but the geometry wasn't pretty.

I also imported it in Modo, ViaCad and FormZ with success and saved it as .fact

All of them opened in EIAS 9.0 with FormZ as the clear winner for smooth and accurate geometry.

Problem is NONE of them opened in EIAS 9.1 Anyone else with a similar problem?

Hi, I always use obj format for models I buy from places like turbosquid and rarely have problems importing with the new 9.0/9.1 obj importer.  obj is the best, much better than 3ds or FBX.

But there are some rare cases where an obj would open in Maya, Blender, Photoshop CS but not EI.  Usually I resave in Blender or save the model as several parts and it would work.  Since Blender is free, maybe you can try that?

- David

Hi David,

This doesn't work either! This is so inconsistent with my experience importing models into EI! I think I must be doing something wrong or else all the internet sources for models are conspiring against me to frustrate me!

When ever I import the modles I don't get the 'Import Options' dialogue. It just skips straight past it like it used to when we didn't have the 'Import Options' dialogue. I feel like I have become disconnected from this dialogue box that gave me power and control and now I've lost it! Where is it? Has anyone seen it? I think I'm going crazzzzy!

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh!

Michael

Do you get a error message at all?

What happens in EIAS? Crashes, models disappear? Bit more info would help. I know it can be frustrating.

I do import a lot of models, but I tend to stick with .obj. Not to say others don't import. Some with errors but usually down to the model. You do get what you pay for but that is not the case maybe.

If you can't send the model, send me the vendor and model code and I'll download / buy the same model. 

Problem needs to be solved let's solve it.

Best regards

Michael,

I just had a thought.

Some models import into EIAS V 9.1 with dissolved geometry. Didn't happen in V 9.0.

In the words of Billy Joel "don't ask me why"!

Check if this is the case in the geometry tab of the group and slide it up to solid.

Might be the answer, otherwise let's see the error.

Cheers,

Hi Thomo,

I don't even get an error message. I select 'Import Object' in the EIAS menu, find the model to import, change the 'Enable' menu at the bottom of the 'Open' window to enable selection of all model types, click on the model, and yes I mostly import .obj & .3ds, then hit 'Open'.

The first thing is it doesn't display the 'Import Options' dialogue, it just takes me straight back to the 'Open' dialogue to import another model! If I continue to add another model, one that has imported in the past, I only get that model importing with the other model being none existent in my EIAS project.

This isn't a one of instance either. I recently purchased 4-6 models from Turbo Squid that would not import, having the same problems on import. I then bought a model form Design Connected and it also had the same problem. All of the failed models open in Rhino (Mac WIP v5.0) except for one, but when I export them from Rhino they still do not import into EIAS having the same import failure.

Michael

Hi ALL,

It appears as though I have violated a cardinal rule of the OS by using a symbol in my folders name. Where the models failed to import, I had inserted a '/' symbol. Once removed the model/s imports without failure.

I have been aware of this in the past but like all OS bugs you don't know when or if it has or hasn't been fixed because its resolution is often buried in marketing.

It appears as though it is still a problem and I will be checking all my folders where models and projects are kept to weed it out.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Michael

• 4 years later...