Importing from Silo into EIAS

maher

I've bought Silo a year ago and I'm starting to learning it seriously.

The FACT file format export doesn't work at all and I've found that the OBJ export work well with Animator but no success with textures or UV mapping.

Is there a secret trick or a plug-in that I should now in order to bring UV and textures in Animator?

Thanks,

Maher 

Sad joke it was…

In the mean time I search the Forum and even went to the old CGTalk to no avail.

I do remember there was discussions about it, that Fact export used to work but does not anymore.

I also read about using Obj or FBX with better results but, for Pete's sake, I can't find any threads about it! (Who is Pete by the way?)

I seem to recall Alonzo giving some interesting hints about UV mapping but cannot remember if it concerned Silo.

Well, now you know how much I don't know. The depth of my ignorance is mind blowing… 

Good day mate!

Can you bring those obj's into another app and see if they are showing up in there? If so, then it is something between EI and the OBJ files. But, see if Silo is exporting the UV's in their OBJ export.

I bring OBJ's from everywhere into EI and it works PERFECTLY! Now, there is a weird bug that I should mention....

If you have an object (from any format) and it has UV on it.....If you delete the object from your scene and then hit undo (to get the object back), 50% of the time, the UV's disappear and you have to re-import the object.

There is a checkbox in the OBJ file format of Silo for importing and exporting UV. Both are checked by default.

When I export to OBJ from Silo, I get the usual 2 files : the .OBJ and the .MAT. It is not clear to me in which file is the UV data. When EIAS is importing an OBJ file, does it process the .MAT file automatically or should we treat those files separately in Animator Material window?

I own Rhinoceros and ViaCAD 3D; I'll try the OBJ import/export of those to try to figure it out.

Thanks,

Maher

Hi Maher,

The uv's are contained within the model file (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this) and the .mat provides material attributes and groups info, both files are read when importing into EIAS. I haven't looked at Silo for quite a while but I believe there was an update for v2? I will try to investigate when time permits.

Reuben  

Hi Maher,

The uv's are contained within the model file (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this) and the .mat provides material attributes and groups info, both files are read when importing into EIAS. I haven't looked at Silo for quite a while but I believe there was an update for v2? I will try to investigate when time permits.

Reuben  

Thanks Ruben,

I solved part of my problem a few days ago. I was exporting my OBJ after sorting my UVs on the basic low polygons mesh version but after refining my model mesh. It look like if the UV and mesh density doesn't match, EI Animator discard the UV of the imported OBJ.

As for the .mat file, I never succeeded to bring any color or surface attribute in EIAS both from OBJ files from Rhino, ViaCAD or Silo.

• 2 years later...