DOES EI's Interface 'work' and 'react accordingly' when used on an Apple RETINA display?

supernovavfx

I'm looking at the new 5k iMac...  but if EI has any limitations interface wise with that screen I can't consider it.

I know everything is essentially 'half size' but apple allows a scaling option and this would give me the screen 

room I need for all my windows and palettes.   I read some apps dont 'work' with Retina and that made me nervous.

Scott

• Like 1

Scott,

I just received this from the owner of barefeats.com --

"Keep in mind most of the time it is scaled to 2560x1440. You can’t even set it to 5120x2880 in finder. That can only happen within the apps that support that resolution."

Just thought it may be of help.

Paul

thanks guys... I guess I still dont know.  Maher...  if you could maybe tell me if your able too work at full resolution in EI.  Let me maybe mention a 'for instance' and see If I can get an answer.

on my 2560x1440 screen   My EI animation timeline which we all know stacks things VERTICALLY... can 'show' approximately 80 lights, objects, cameras etc etc etc....   than i have to scroll to see more if my project has more than 80 things.

ON A RETINA DISPLAY in EI 9.1 can I NOW roughly show about 160 lights, objects, cameras etc etc etc... vertically?  Twice the pixels matters at that level related too a much more convenient working environment. The less I have to scroll the faster I can work.  I can also work in a ONE monitor 

environment and not a two monitor set up.     If all the retina display is, is a sharper image... than that is nice but not really worth it to me.  More pallets and more data entry screens I can have up and not hidden the better.   

I guess the answer lies with Tomas.... does EI support Retina FULL resolution?  or does it scale EI?

Sorry for the delay,

I can confirm that Paulc is right. My 15 inch MBP retina is supposed to have a native screen of 3840 x 2400. But, when I set it to display the most space and I resize the EIAS project window to fill the screen, I can drag that window to my external 27 inch Apple display (2560 x 1440) and it won't fill the screen.

The effective resolution is 1920 x 1200 (pixels are 2 x 2). But, on a 15 inch display, even such a lower effective resolution made the text very small and I'm sure it won't be of any use to really work at a native resolution of 3840 x 2400 on a 15 inch screen (or at 5K on 27 inch display). Those mega resolution only make sense on a much bigger screen or in a video or picture windows that display very HiRes content.

Maher

Maher... thats a matter of taste...  if I can double the resolution and everything is half the size on my 5k iMac I would do that when working on EI or AE projects that have hundreds and hundreds of elements.  Big time saver.  We each have our levels of comfort visually... 

I totally respect that.   I just would like the OPTION to go to that resolution and view twice the interface elements - at half size - than I could before.    I hope that is what this really is.

Paul... please share your info on that awesome machine you ordered!    

Imagine if the text on this forum was half the size it is right now. Yes, the project window would handle lot more elements, but it won't speed your workflow if you need to look at it with a magnifier glass each time.

It would probably be more effective to use a second monitor just for the project window, one that can rotate in portrait mode to display a maximum number of lines.

Maher

I understand your point maher.... but what gets confusing to me is that the resolution is adjustable.   My browser lets me drag certain things larger and smaller.   Same with text.   Some of the interface elements are just boxes and lines...  thats fine at half size.

I'm doing bullet work with thousands of pieces that I've found really valuable to have the ability to grab individual chunks and alter their characteristics... that gets very time consuming.   I think we agree...  what I WANT is for twice the data to be available at half 

size.   THEN... I can maybe up the resolution some.  The control panel appears to have 5 separate 'stages' so I would not have to be totally at half size.   Having that option makes the iMac extremely portable for me as well which, as a full time freelancer is huge.

thank you for all your insight...  the 2 monitor thing has always been the way to go... just seeing what CAN be done...   thanks

nice... but thats only 4k unlike the iMacs 5k....   I'm still not sure if my question ever got truly answered... CAN or WILL EI shrink down to essentially half size on that iMac display revealing

essentially twice the interface space...  room for palettes and more.    My other app is AE and adobe is on top of that....  I LOVE EI and Tomas and all are working so hard... so I'm not going

to be too sad if the app does not work in an Hi Dpi mode... ill deal with it.   Lots of interesting choices ahead... thats for sure...  :)

If EI doesn't not scale down natively on a MacbookPro Retina, it's probably clear either that it won't do on a 5K Retina iMac. It's strange that Apple doesn't offer that native resolution as a choice on all UHD screen. It's one of those many decisions that Apple forced on their customers based on the premise that they knew better then us what we need. Or may be they're afraid that the underpowered video cards they often put on their machines will have some hard time dealing with those huge amount of pixels.

The weird thing is that some reports pretend that an UHD that Apple doesn't officially support will sometime display at native resolution (and people complained that they cannot read text the menu bar)...

Anyway, those 5K iMac will pretty soon hit the AppleStore and the clients, so  we will have a clear answer to your question.

i guess its just odd having resolution not be 'relevant'   WHY list a pixel count if its not a tangible 'usable' pixel.      The tech behind the iMac screen was explained as powered differently than were used too.  Its not just a video card powered 

experience.  The display has some added tech I wish I could remember as I type this... but if you watch the video of the keynote they go into how it powers a number of things helping the display along so the card is not lifting all the pixels weight.

Just using analogy there.... but I'm sure it was something.  Not just the card pushing all of that.  An external monitor pretty much HAS to be pixel for pixel what id be expecting.   The retina thing is just mucking up things  LOL    I wish I could just install

a copy of ei onto one in the store to see...  

oh well... it will be interesting to see the results.

Scott,

With QuickRes it works like you desire.  Without QuickRes it looks like a standard iMac, as far as window/text size.  I'm going to try and attach an image showing the different sizes:  2560 x 1440 (EIAS on normal Retina iMac); 3200 x 1800 (QuickRes setting); 6400 x 3600 (highest QuickRes setting).

Some things to note:

-- In the jpg image, each of the three project windows vertically fill the 27 inch iMac display.   

-- At 6400 x 3600 the project window text is too small for my eyes.  I can move closer and make it out but would have a headache within minutes.

-- Mouse pointer speed would have to be increased as it becomes slower at higher screen resolution.

-- QuickRes offers other sizes in between what I have displayed here. I preferred 3200 or 3800 (horizontal resolution).  Much higher and in my opinion text is too small.

-- I bought the iMac for processor speed, but the screen is excellent and better than expected.

Image file too big to attach.  Link:  http://ziccardiproductions.com/EIAS_retina_iMac.jpg

Be sure to download and view at 1:1 or 100%  :shy:

HTH,

Paul