Modeler 5 launches with one dongle, but not the other ?

Paul P

Hi everyone.

I am running a Mac Pro 3.1 with OS X Snow Leopard, with all current updates.

I have two EIAS dongles :

- one I originally received with EI 6.5, which I now use with EI 8. It is a purple USB dongle.

- the other is for Universe 5, a completely separate licence and dongle, also purple USB.

I can launch my copy of Modeler 5 with the Universe 5 dongle no problem, but not with the 6.5/8 dongle. I have tried different computers (Mac Pro, iMac G4), different operating systems (Tiger, Snow Leopard), but it does not make any difference. With the 6.5/8 dongle, it tries to launch Modeler, the icon bounces in the dock for about 30 or 40 seconds, the hard drive makes weird noises, and then it just stops. The Modeler icon is shown in the dock, but it is a trick, It hasn't launched at all. From time to time it asks me to reset the ADB bus.

With the Universe 5 dongle, it launches right away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

From time to time it asks me to reset the ADB bus.

With the Universe 5 dongle, it launches right away.

Well, I can sell you my old EIAS ADB dongles. They create those warmer looking vintage renderings. Much better than that modern USB crap :D

Seriously: doesn't modeler, like the EIAS application itself, save it's serial number and unlocking code on the disk after installing and initializing it? You can't use EIAS with two dongles (except you're installing two copies and only use it with the corresponding dongle), and I could imagine it's the same with the modeler.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

thanks for that.

I don't think that is it. The more I think about it, the more I think the dongle is faulty. If the dongle is functioning correctly, both dongles will launch Modeler, and will just ask for the correct code at startup. One of my dongles does this, the other doesn't laucnh Modeler at all. The dongle that is troublesome is also giving me troubles with Animator and Camera 8 (randon camera errors etc). A project will work one day, but not the next etc.

I have had two USB dongles go bad in the past. One for Lightwave, and one for BOA, a French CAD software.

I would be very much in favour of abandoning the dongle for some other system. Lightwave and formZ have got rid of the dongles in their recent versions. So how about it Tomas ? And by the way, how do I go about getting a replacement dongle ?

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem (Modeler won't launch on second key), but I'm getting a window saying:  "Unable to locate "Eve3.framework", The necessary bundle could not be found.  I tried moving the EIModelerKey file and the KeyTableMacX files to the desktop, but it still won't launch.  (There are actually two EIModelerKey files, one for each key.  I tried hiding the old one in a folder on the desktop, but that didn't do it.)

Chip

Hey Chip!

You can't move the KeyTableMacX from the EI Modeler resource folder.

Second, EI Modeler is not seeing the Eve3.framework, please, copy it to:

HD / Library / Frameworks

HD / System / Library / Frameworks

See if it works, because the dongle installer should install it, maybe a permission problem in the OSX system.

Eve3.framework.zip

Thanks

Tom

Hey Paul!

Take a look inside the "resources" folder from EI modeler and move dongle key file to your desktop.

Plug the EIAS 6.5 / 8 dongle and try to run the EI modeler.

Thanks

Tom

Ola Tomas,

thanks for that.

I already tried this, but it doesn't help. I have also tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting preferences, moving things out of resources folders etc. Nothing works with the 6.5/8 dongle. As soon as I plug in the Unverse 5 dongle, it works straight away.

I would be happy to send you the dongle to test for yourself. I am not an expert in computers, but i am convinced the dongle is faulty.

Ola Tomas,

thanks for that.

I already tried this, but it doesn't help. I have also tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting preferences, moving things out of resources folders etc. Nothing works with the 6.5/8 dongle. As soon as I plug in the Unverse 5 dongle, it works straight away.

I would be happy to send you the dongle to test for yourself. I am not an expert in computers, but i am convinced the dongle is faulty.

Ola Tomas,

thanks for this.

My Mac Pro 3.1 tower is Mac Intel. All the testing etc. in this thread has been done on this machine.

I have installed Animator 9.1, and also used the "9.1" dongle installer file. When i plug in the dongle, and launch Animator 9.1, it just launches as a demo version. I'm not sure where you are going with this. Just to be clear, I don't have the commercial version of 9.1. I am only up to version 8.

Thanks

Ola Paul!

So, it's a DUO dongle too, it was supposed to run with EI Modeler, maybe the "Mac" side of the dongle which run PPC applications is not working fine anymore.

The problem now: the rainbow DUO dongles (purple) doesn't exist anymore which run on PPC machines and run PPC applications like EI Modeler, the new DUO Dongles which we have are Mac Intel Only!

Thanks

Tom

Ola Tomas,

thanks for all your help with this problem.

1. Have you considered getting rid of the dongles altogether and using some other system of protection ?

2. Can you please tell me what is involved in getting a replacement dongle ? The 6.5/8 dongle is also giving me trouble with Animator 8. I can use my other Universe 5 dongle for EI Modeler.

Thanks

Thanks Tomas for the Eve3.framework files.  

They solved the "eve" problem, but now when I try and launch the Modeler, I get a window saying No Hardware Key detected, and then when I abort, it says, "Sorry, the key table file could not be found in the resources folder".  There is a hardware key in place (newly purchased), and the KeyTableMacX file is there.  (It's the same KeyTableMacX file that works on my other Mac, with my other hardware key.  Is the KeyTableMacX file specific to only one hardware key?  If so, how do I generate a new KeyTableMacX file for the new hardware key just purchased recently?)  Thanks for any suggestions :-)  Chip

Final update on my Modeler question - I finally _DID_ get it to launch..., but only after plugging in my original dongle.  (I was trying to get it to work with my new dongle, which is for a second copy of EI.)  Apparently, the Modeler is "coded" for my original dongle only, and doesn't see the new one :-(  So the solution is to plug both dongles into one machine.  To be fair, I wasn't sure if the Modeler would work with a new key, and I'm actually very pleased it still runs with the old one :-)  As long as we have machines that will run 10.6.8, I'm happy!  Thanks for your help with the Eve Framework Tomas.   Chip