Old Modelling Toys

RobK

HI everyone,

I still like to use Modeller and Amorphium from time to time.

On the PC Amorphium died after Vista - but appears to run really well in Microsofts free VPC with XP as guest OS.

Modeller starts to have drawing errors (rulers, mouse etc) with Vista onwards. The old 3DTK Modeller runs well in VPC but I can't get modeller 5 to see the dongle from inside VPC - any ideas.

Also any ideas if this works with VPC running inside a Mac running Parallels.

Nice to use the old toys once in a while. Also it is sometimes useful just to get a nice fac out the other end.

Regards, Rob.

Hi Rob,

both should run fine in a Parallels VM (running a regular XP, not VPC). I know Amorphium does, but I didn't try the modeler. The dongle should also work there, however, for running an application it needs to be assigned EITHER to the Mac OR the VM, so it can't be used on both OSes at the same time. Parallels VMs are a kind of "last resort" for obsolete applications, I'm also running Kandu's CAD Mover there, which ceased to work on Macs.

Bernd

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

I'm using Modeler on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. Most of the drawing issues are because of ClearType. If you turn it off before running Modeler, you get the rulers back. I found a free utility called ClearType Switch from Karpolan.com that makes it really easy to toggle ClearType on and off. I turn it off, run Modeler, and then turn it right back on.