Hackingtosh

vic3d

im going to be adding an Nvidia 570 card to my Mac Pro in January and following 'directions' lol...  to make my 2008 mac pro accept it and start up fine.   This will make my Mac, technically a 'Hackintosh'

and I cant imagine EI not working even better with this card given the memory and speed.  The reason these cards work is because Apple 'secretly' supports them anyway.   Other "hacks" I have not heard anything

about other hacks...   ill report back in about a month or so...

im going to be adding an Nvidia 570 card to my Mac Pro in January and following 'directions' lol...  to make my 2008 mac pro accept it and start up fine.   This will make my Mac, technically a 'Hackintosh'

and I cant imagine EI not working even better with this card given the memory and speed.  

I also have a MacPro early 2008 and I'm very interested to learn how functional is your hack. Please, let us know about it when it will be done.

Maher

the "expert" on this according too a number of web sources is a guy on ebay known as    MACVIDCARDS     he provides the 'hacked' nvidia cards for macpros 3.1  4.1  and 5.1    mine is the 2008 8 core 3.2 ghz  machine with 32 gigs of ram and the nvidia 8800 gx card.... he offered me 80 bucks for that.   He marks up the cards about 80 - 100 bucks for his work on them and he provides the instructions those of us non programmer types can follow to get it working

on our machines.   He has sold a ton of these and even had them benchmarked on the site Barefeats.com     great customer satisfaction from my research...   you just need to know what monitors your driving.... I need a dual dvi version of the card for example.  I wish I was more techie with this stuff but I cant do it all.   I use AE HEAVILY and its new ray tracer is 'cuda' accelerated greatly among several plug ins...  I am running 10.7 and nobody has reported

any issues with this set up.   I am only commenting on the video card aspect.   The guy also has a website... just google him or find him in ebay.... he returns emails pretty well...

that and the accelsior card from OWC are the top two things you can do  IN MY OPINION to squeeze some nice new life out of our machines...  another 12-24 months in my case i hope.          Im waiting to start a new project in Jan and im going to follow through with the upgrade... ill report back and of course im hoping for a much more responsive EI experience as well.... not render times obviously, but overall zippiness I expect that....  going from 512 ram to 1.5 gig of ram should do SOMETHING better... i hope... but for around 350 - 400 you cant beat the bang for the buck....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I set up a hackintosh a few weeks ago with a 3770k processor for $680 to use as a render box. In terms of rendering it's only a tiny bit slower than my 2010 8 core Mac Pro so I couldn't be happier. It's been sitting there for 3 weeks smashing away frames with no complaints what so ever - running mountain lion 10.8.2. Anyone interested, I used this guys build and guide as a basis (including the nice bitfenix prodigy case)