EIAS 7.01 Problems

dcr

Hello all,

I have EIAS 7.01 installed on a machine that originally had Mac OS X 10.4.11 installed on it.  I later upgraded it to Mac OS 10.6.8 which is where it remains.  I have a project to do, so I got the machine running and tried to start Animator but I get "Hardware key error: Key not plugged in #3" but the dongle is plugged in and the LED indicator on it lights up.  Tried different USB ports and it makes no difference.  Other USB devices work fine so I don't think it's a problem with the USB ports.

I don't remember if I ran EIAS on this machine since upgrading to Snow Leopard.  Also, OBJ2FACT 2.1 doesn't seem to work either.  I know it did before.  Maybe neither are compatible with Snow Leopard?

I do have the EIAS 8 upgrade which I purchased but never installed.

Do I need to try to find a machine that runs Mac OS X 10.4.11 and run EIAS 7.01 on it?  Do I need to switch to EIAS 8 on Snow Leopard?  Or, could something be wrong with the USB Key that it's not working on Snow Leopard?

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Tomas,

22 minutes ago, Tomas Egger said:

Please, try to use this dongle Installer:

EI Capitan Dongle Installer

That worked perfectly!  Thank you!

Still no luck with OBJ2FACT 2.1 so I may have to dig out a Mac Mini that still runs Mac OS X 10.4.11 and see if it works on there.

25 minutes ago, Tomas Egger said:

EIAS 8.0 will be better than EIAS 7.01 for sure, Try to Install EIAS 9.1 and message me directly, tom@eias3d.com

I only have a small render job that I think EIAS 7.01 will work fine for.  I'm holding out for EIAS 10 so I can run EIAS on a newer, faster machine.

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 1

Hello Tomas,

I may take you up on that.  My current problem, however, is one of getting my model (with UV map) into EIAS.  I know I used to do it with OBJ2FACT but it apparently will not work on Snow Leopard.  The model was created in Silo 2.1.1, which does not export .fac correctly.  I have Silo 2.5.6 on a Mac with Catalina and used it to open my model and exported to .fac, but the UV map does not appear to go along with it.  I had the UV map displaying at first (albeit very incorrectly) and have tried various settings to get them in, but now I can't seem to get EIAS to recognize them at all.

So, my next attempt is going to be to use a Mac with Mac OS X 10.4.11 to run OBJ2FACT and see if that will convert my models with their UVs.  I know that's how I used to do it.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello,

I figured out the problem with OBJ2FACT.  It's a PowerPC application.  Under Mac OS X 10.4.11, Rosetta was included on Intel Macs so PowerPC apps would still run.  Rosetta was an optional install under Snow Leopard.  So, if Rosetta was installed, PowerPC apps would run.  If not, then no.  Evidently, I didn't do the optional install when upgrading.

I have an old MacBook G4 with 10.4.11, so I'm going to see if OBJ2FACT will work on it.

Dan

Hello,

Slow progress being made.  I think.  OBJ2FACT works on a Mac G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.11.  Converts the .obj file from Silo to a .fac.  Found I need to have Flip Z-axis checked for it to convert correctly.  Resulting .fac imports into EIAS 7.0.1 without issue.  All parts and such are labeled as in the Silo file.

Still having no luck getting the UV maps to work.  I suspect user error since I had them working (though not aligned) the other day, before I had the model importing correctly.

At this point, I'm not sure if I don't have OBJ2FACT configured correctly to translate the UV maps correctly or if I am doing something very wrong in EIAS.  Either could be possibilities at this point.

On the one hand, maybe I would have no problems in EIAS 8 or 9.1.  On the other hand, I'm not ready to let EIAS 7.0.1 defeat me just yet.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Tomas,

While I don't want to rule out user error, I am beginning to believe that my install of EIAS 7.0.1 does not play well with Mac OS X 10.6.8.  Textures do not preview in Animator.  All surfaces are gray until I render the file.  I cannot use .png, .jpg, or .tif files for textures; only .img.  Weird thing is, I opened an old file (created when the machine still had Mac OS X 10.4.11 installed) and textures are displayed in Animator but, if I make any change, the textures disappear and I can never get them back again, even with Undo.

I have tried a number of settings in both OBJ2FACT and EIAS, and I cannot get the textures to apply to the model in any sensible way.  I have created textures with varying grids and colors to help me see where they are falling on the model so I can adjust them, but they never seem to be applied in any manner that makes any logical sense.  I cannot be sure if UV textures are being ignored or if I have the settings so far off that there's no chance of getting them to align correctly.

I am going to setup and try EIAS 7.0.1 on a machine with Mac OS X 10.4.11.  If I can't get the model and textures to work on it, then clearly it is user error.

I did import the original .obj model into a different 3D program, and it imported fine with textures correctly applied.  So, I think that at least confirms there is not an issue with the original model file itself.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Tomas,

I thought I would give the EIAS 9.1 Demo a try to see if it would import my .obj and allow me to export to a .fac I could use in EIAS 7, but I couldn't get it to run.  Is it not compatible with High Sierra (10.13)?  I can try it on a Snow Leopard machine instead, but the High Sierra machine was handier so I tried it first.

Thanks,

Dan

Ola Dan,

Minimal system: Macintosh: OS 10.6.X or newer, Intel processor, 1GB RAM, 32-bit 3D Graphics card with at least 256MB of memory, USB Port
Its compatible with 10.13.X, probably is giving a problem with the new OS Gatekeeper security system, please, install 
TeamViewer.com, then, msg me in private, I will control remotely your machine and fix the problem, a few minutes :)

Thanks
Tom

• Thanks 1

Hello Tomas,

I've already shut down the High Sierra box for the day.  Maybe tomorrow?

Will a Mac Mini work?  Maybe that's the problem?  Do they have compatible graphics cards?  I have access to models with these: Intel GMA 950, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and Intel Iris 5100.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Tomas,

Sorry, got busy with work yesterday.

I did setup EIAS 7.0.1 on a machine with Mac OS X 10.4.11.  And the textures did not work.  So, it is not an issue with EIAS 7.0.1 and Mac OS X 10.6.8.  That narrows it down to user error (me) or a problem with the conversion using OBJ2FACT, possibly user error there too, though I have pretty much exhausted all the different settings I can think of.

I'll send you a PM.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello Tomas,

Good news!  I got the EIAS 9.1 Demo working on a 10.6.8 machine.  I imported my model as an .obj, set up the textures, then exported to a .fac.  I imported that .fac into EIAS 7.0.1 and it appears to work.  Need to apply all the textures.  I have to line them up as 0.5, 0.5, 0 instead of 0, 0, 0 but that's manageable.  Test render shows the textures appearing as they should.

Had to have been something with the OBJ2FACT conversion.  Maybe I never used the right settings but I tried a bunch of different settings and never got anywhere close.

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Okay, new problem.  I discovered the machine I have been using does not have enough RAM to render a high resolution version of the scene I'm working on.  So, I moved to another Mac with Snow Leopard that has plenty of RAM.  Well, 10 hours later, it failed with an error:

Camera Error: A system API function has returned an unexpected error number.  Library: QTUT  Error ID: 103  Error number: -51

It happens when I have the render settings set to save to a PICT file.  I have subsequently found saving as an IMG file works fine.  (At least it did on the low-res renders; I'll know in about ten hours for sure.)

My guess is that, judging by the "QTUT" mention in the error message, I'm missing something QuickTime related.  According to the Animator manual, the system needs to have:

• Carbon Lib 1.1.1 or greater
• Open GL 1.1 or greater
• Quickdraw 3D extensions (all)
• QuickTime 3.0 or greater
• QuickTime PowerPlug
• USB extension (if your Mac has a USB port)

I'm good on Open GL, QuickTime 3.0 or greater and the USB extension.  As far as I can tell, Carbon Lib, QuickDraw 3D and QuickTime PowerPlug were all Mac OS 9 items?

It looks like I can get around the issue (fingers crossed!) by saving to an IMG rather than a PICT, but if I could get both working, so much the better!

Thanks,

Dan